where's my sprouts - Knowledgebase Question

Depere, Wi
Question by dare2care58
I'm growing brusselsprouts for the first time.THe plant just looks like a bunch of cabbage leafs. I never see any little ball shaped things that would be a sprout. When will allthe leafs stop and sprouts start?

0

Brussels sprouts are cool season plants. The "sprouts" (small heads that resemble miniature cabbages) are produced in the leaf axils, starting at the base of the stem and working upward. Sprouts improve in quality and grow best during cool or even lightly frosty weather. Brussels sprouts require a long growing period, though newer hybrids have greatly reduced this requirement. Summers are usually too warm for completely satisfactory production from spring plantings but plants set out in late spring to early summer grow satisfactorily and mature high-quality sprouts when the fall weather begins to cool. So, just continue to give your plants good care and they will begin to develop sprouts as the weather cools this fall. Enjoy!