info on trimming low Junipers - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
I have alot of low growing Junipers. I'd like to trim them off about 8 inches all around the circular edge.
However, I believe you said that the DEADLINE has passed. When was that?
If so, when is the earliest I can do it in the spring and til what is the deadline in the summer?

Thanks so much... Dorian

0

When pruning you'll want to make sure that the new growth encouraged by pruning has a chance to harden off before cold weather sets in. If the new growth is still tender when cold weather arrives it can be killed back during the winter months. It's generally recommended you do not prune evergreens after the end of August in your growing region. You still have time to prune your junipers. New growth will have 4-6 weeks to mature before cold weather arrives. Or you can prune in early spring, just as new growth begins. Hope this clarifies things for you.