Name of Fern - Knowledgebase Question

Hollywood, Fl
Question by jlmrogue
I have a fern that was mom's, she said its a Staghorn Fern, I hung it on my Pine Tree & it took off growing. Is this its name? I have done Zero maintenance. It was dead now I see its going up tree. Brown like paper thin base with Large Green Stag shaped Green Leaves. It is now 4 stages higher since I attached it. Thanks, Linda

0

Platycerium, or staghorn ferns, are epiphytes, meaning they prefer to grow above the ground attached to tree trunks or rocky outcrops where they can siphon water run-off from their host material. This run-off contains many nutrients that sustain the staghorn's growth. The amazing thing about these ferns is that they also feed off their own composted frond material. There's not much you need to do for your plant other than just enjoy it.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Daisy with bug"