crepe myrtles - Knowledgebase Question

indianapolis, In
Question by marimiddd
We recently planted two crepe myrtles as foundation plantings in our Indianapolis yard.
I have heard they are not winter hardy here?
We were hoping they would come back next year..we werent told anything different at the local nurseryPlease help!
marie brownlee

Lagerstroemia fauriei is reliably hardy as far north as USDA Hardiness Zone 6. Your zip code places you in zone 6 so I think your new crepe myrtles have a fighting chance for survival. Since you've planted them close to a foundation they should benefit from the protection of the building. You can add more protection in the late fall when the plants are dormant. Just mulch around the bases of the plant to help protect the roots. Even if the tops are killed back by winter weather, new shoots should develop from the crown of the plant. Best wishes with your crepe myrtles!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"