Canna Lilies - Knowledgebase Question

Park Ridge, Il
Question by cindyriegler
I live in Chicago with harsh winters. Is there any type of mulch I can put down over the canna lily bulbs so I don't have to remove them every winter and replant in Spring?

0

There really isn't anything you can put down to protect the bulbs over the winter months. If the ground freezes solid, so will the bulbs. If you can't dig the bulbs every fall you might consider growing them in containers (and sinking the containers into the ground if you wish). Then all you'll need to do is lift the bulbs from the containers, or lift the containers from the ground to store them in an area that remains above freezing each winter. Hope this helps!