Organic Gardening versus BUGS! - Knowledgebase Question

Trussville, Al
Question by chawkswrth
I am trying to grow an Organic Vegetable garden, with tomatos, squash, bell peppers, eggplant, okra, sunflowers, and birdhouse gourds.
Everything is growing nicely, but the fruit is having problems. I am getting some kind of porer worm in the my beautiful yellow squash. I have both straight and crookneck varieties. Help!
I have also noticed that there are worms attacking the tomatos. Help!

Bugs don't really care if your garden is organic or not! Wish they had a little more respect, don't you? You can handpick the worms on your tomato plants or use a botanical called Bt which is sold as Dipel or Thuricide. It is a bacterium that acts as a stomach poison, targeting only caterpillars. It sounds as though you have a population of squash vine borers bothering your squash. Rotenone or sabadilla dust are organic pesticides an should help control them. Hope you have a great harvest.

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"