Fall Vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Grand Terrace, CA
Question by sevans46
Please suggest some vegetables I can plant in August, including potatoes. I live in Southern California and it is very hot until mid-October.

0

Veggies that you can harvest in the fall can be seeded in August. Summer weather should not have an adverse effect on the new little plants; the key concern is having cool temperatures when the plants are developing their harvestable parts. Cole crops (cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, etc.) mature wonderfully well in the autumn and early winter months. Lettuce, radish, carrots - virtually anything that doesn't have to flower to produce a fruit - is fair game for year 'round gardening. Potatoes are a good choice. Just steer clear of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, corn and squash. These plants need a long, warm season to develop and mature. Enjoy your cornucopia of fresh veggies!