Drainage - Knowledgebase Question

Roseville, Ca
Question by dianermcginn
We hired a tractor operator to finish grade our backyard. Asked him to grade so everything slants away from the house. He advised he needed to grade a portion of the yard toward the house (which he advises is the lowest part of the yard) and then install a catch basin to move the water away from the house. We think he should just grade all dirt away from the house. Appreciate your opinion.

0

I'd love to be able to advise you, but without an opportunity to inspect the site, analyze the soil and the natural drainage of the site, I can't really offer any opinions. If it were my property I'd either get a second opinion or I'd talk to someone at the local cooperative extension office that specializes in onsite drainage. Contact University of California Cooperative Extension, 4145 Branch Center Rd, Sacramento, CA 95827-3823 phone (916) 875-6913. Or, contact your county building department for expert advice. Wish I had more to share.