massangeana cane plant - Knowledgebase Question

Salisbury, Ma
Question by misspie4
I have a cane plant I purchased from home depot some of the leave are turning brown on the tips. what am I doing wrong?

0

Some dracaena varieties are more prone to tip burn than others and I'm afraid you have a variety that is sensitive and most prone to browning leaf tips. The cause is usually from a buildup of salts in the soil, or a reaction to fluoride in the water. You can flush the potting soil to leach the excess salts out and/or switch to distilled water. To leach the salts out, immerse the pot in a sinkful of water until no more air bubbles arise to the top. Drain the excess water (in a separate sink if possible or into a bowl), then set the pot back into the sinkful of clean water and let it set for a few minutes. Then drain the excess water (and the excess salts). You can cut away the brown leaf tips if you find them unattractive. Best wishes with your dracaena!