Fall Fertilizing - Knowledgebase Question

Bay City, Mi
Question by tomdclements
Do I apply a lawn fertilizer now(september) then apply a winterizer in October, or can I apply the Fall winterizer in September only. This was a discussion between myself and a neighbor . He said that he applies a regular scotts lawn fertilizer the first of september and a scotts winterizer in October. I've only applied the Fall winterizer in the middle of September. What's better to do?

0

You only need to fertilize once in the fall. Whether you apply in September or October, use a winterizer formulation which is lower in nitrogen than a spring or summer feed, plus it has higher ratios of phosphorous and potassium which will help strengthen roots and stems. Hope this clarifies things for you.