Why does my inside rubber plant keep losing leaves? - Knowledgebase Question

SUGAR LAND, Te
Question by BECPETE40
I have it inside and have had it since June. It continually loses leaves. Would it do better outside in shade?

0

A Rubber Plant can lose leaves for a number of reasons. If your plant has been losing leaves from the bottom up, it might be root related. Experienced growers say "problems with bottom leaves means a problem with bottom roots". It could be too much or too little water but is nearly always too little water on the bottom roots. This happens because the plant may get water frequently but never gets enough water to soak the bottom roots. Roots always grow downward so it is not critical what the top of the soil is like but it is very important to get water down to the bottom of the pot. The plant should be in a pot that has a hole in the bottom. When you water you should give the plant LOTS of water. Even leave the pot in water to soak up water for maybe half an hour then drain off all extra water. Too much water is as bad, or worse, than too little. Leave the plant until it is quite dry on the top of the soil before you water again. Rubber plants like bright light, but never hot sun. When your new leaves are emerging, even less light is advisable, as this will promote larger leaves. Rubber plants are very susceptible to changes in environment, such as warm to a cool room. Keep them out of drafts, and away from heat sources. Good luck with your rubber plant.