Get rid of bugs - Knowledgebase Question

North East, PA
Question by rmb516
I have very small flys on the dirt of some of my house plants they

0

What you describe sound like fungus gnats. Fungus gnats feed and breed in decaying organic matter so the potting soil provides an almost perfect environment for them. One of the easiest ways to control them is to place a barrier between moist potting soil and the little pests. You can simply cover the soil with aluminum foil or plastic wrap, or cover the top of the soil with pea gravel or decorative rock such as those used in aquariums. Whatever you use, make sure there are no tiny entrance holes for the gnats - they're sure to find them. An alternative is to drench the soil with a product such as Gnatrol or Insecticidal Soap. The browning leaves may have nothing to do with the gnats. Over or underwatering can cause those symptoms. Water thoroughly when you do water, then allow the top half inch of soil to dry out between waterings. Best wishes with your houseplant!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"