Balcony Tree! - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by tiptonmarie
Hello, I live in San Diego (zone 10) less than 5 miles inland of the beach and would like to plant a small tree in a container on my East facing balcony. Balcony gets full AM sun and shade after 1 or 2 pm. Is there a tree I can get that won't grow more than about 8 feet tall but still look more like a

0

It's really difficult to find a tree that won't grow any taller than 8 feet. You can train lots of shrubs into tree shapes - camellia, for instance - by removing all of the lower branches and leaving just a topknot of branches and foliage. Or, try one of the dwarf, weeping cherry trees. Natal or Dwarf Coral Tree (Erythrina humeana) grows upwards of 10' but you can prune it to keep it smaller. Wish I had more suggestions for you.