leaf scorch and color change for Japanese red maple - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Lynne Schwartz
savannah, Ge
Question by lynne138
Why do my Japanese red maples loose thrir scarlet color and seem to fade to light green. Why are the leaves curled dry and crispy bspite being in a sun filtered location.Are there any types of these red maples ie. Bloodgood or Emperor One that retain their red color longer?How can I tell if the tree is grafted or from seed? Which would be better to buy if I want the best red color? Do any of those

0

What you describe is perfectly normal for your maple trees. Their leaves are dark red-purple in spring and fall, fading to bronze-green with the heat of summer. For better color retention. try growing Acer rubrum `Red Sunset' which has excellent red to orange fall color and a notable pyramidal to rounded shape. `October Glory' is a well-shaped tree which tends to retain its leaves until later in the fall.
`Autumn Flame' has an early display of red fall color and develops a rounded shape as a mature tree. 'Bloodgood' and 'Emperor I' are also good choices for your Georgia garden. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"