Mexican Palm - Knowledgebase Question

The Woodlands, Te
Question by jlindaw
One of my Mexican fan palms appears to have bugs in the top of the base where the new fronds are growing out. The wood trunk pieces are crumbling, however the fronds look healthy. How do I treat both of these problems? Thank You.

0

Mexican Fan palms are sometimes attacked by Coconut mealybug, palm leaf skeletonizer, palm platid planthopper, palmetto weevilis and a variety of scales. You'll need to capture a few of the bugs and have them identified before you can choose a control remedy. The crumbling trunk indicates a rot, probably from overly wet soils. There's not much you can do about the root and crown rot, though. In most cases, once the first signs of rot occur it is too late to save the palm. Wish I could be more positive!