Avacado Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Monica, Ca
Question by stephaniemal3
We just bought a house with a large avacado tree in the back. The tree hasn't been well cared for and I want to make sure we keep it healthy. What should I be done?

0

A mature avocado tree is probably getting the water and nutrients it needs without any special treatment. When you water and feed the rest of your landscape the nutrient rich moisture will benefit the roots of your avocado tree. About the only thing you may need to do is some selective pruning. Remove any dead branches and thin out anything that is crossing or rubbing. To wake up latent leaf buds on the branches, tip prune (remove just a little from the very tips of the branches). This should encourage new growth in the center of the canopy and new fruits, as well. Hope you have a great harvest!