Rooting Hormone - Knowledgebase Question

Massena, NY
Avatar for margosia
Question by margosia
August 2, 1998
I am trying to propagate a hibiscus plant. In your library of questions it said to cut a stem 8-12 inches long and dip the cut end in a rooting hormone. Where can I purchase rooting hormone. Is this the same as a root stimulator? I have root stimulator which I purchased from your company.

Answer from NGA
August 2, 1998
Rooting hormone is usually sold in powder form in either a small bottle or a foil packet; it is literally a hormone to stimulate root formation along the stem. A commonly seen name brand is Rootone; it is usually carried by garden centers and nurseries and occasionally large hardware chains. Try looking for it in with specialty fertilizers.

Rooting stimulator on the other hand is used as a soil drench to help newly planted plants establish faster. It usually contains nutrients and micronutrients to promote growth of existing roots. This would be the thing to use once your cutting has formed some roots and you have planted it into a growing medium.

Good luck with your cuttings!

You must be signed in before you can post questions or answers. Click here to join!

« Return to the Garden Knowledgebase Homepage

Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Dinu and is called "Lavender beauties"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.