Larvae on roots of pole beans - Knowledgebase Question

Lexington, Ma
Question by phillipshaw
My pole beans(romano) have some kind of larvae on the roots (juice comes out when squished). The plants seem to be robust but blossoms are light. The bean looks like it has gone to seed almost immediately. Rather than 6 to 7

0

The grubs may be vine weevil grubs and removing them from the garden is a good idea. I suspect the problems with the blossoms and the beans themselves are weather related. Beans like to grow in the cooler months of the year so planting in early spring so they can mature before the heat of summer, or planting in mid-summer so they can mature in late autumn will increase their yield. The best natural control for grubs is Milky Spore. This is an organic product which kills only the grubs, while sparing earthworms. Another benefit to milky spore is that it lasts for up to 15 years without needing to be reapplied. The only downside is that it can be costly. But given the fact you only need to apply it once every 15-20 years, it is the least expensive alternative over the long term.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Textures"