How to split a hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Oakdale, Co
Question by dbutzgy
I have a huge hibiscus (moschetos, i think) It is so large that I need to split it but I am not sure how. The plant is so beautiful, don't want to lose it. Some of the trunks are 1/2-1inch thick. please help

0

Yes, it is possible to divide an established Rose-of-Sharon tree/shrub. In August or September, cut the shrub down to one or two feet above the ground. Dig up the root ball and cut in in half and then cut the halves in half. If those halves are still larger than a fist, you can cut them in half again and plant all of these sections. They should develop into new shrubs by next Spring. Make sure you have at least 30-45 days before the first frost. Mulch them with composted manure and water profusely, then leave them alone until spring. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "