info on Rose of Sharon bush - Knowledgebase Question

kalamazoo, MI
Question by dfgquilter
Hi! I have a Rose of Sharon bush about 5 ft tall and about 2 feet wide. I would like to transplant it.

Can I do it now or should I wait until spring?
IF I can do it now, how late into Oct. can I do it?

What precautions should I use? I don't want to kill it.
Help, please. Thanks, Dorian

0

It's a little late in the season to dig your Rose of Sharon. It won't have time to become established before winter weather arrives. Instead, I'd dig and move it in the spring. It will quickly establish and will grow and bloom right on schedule. Expect the majority of the roots to be concentrated directly beneath the shrub, in the top 12-18 inches of soil and extending out as far as the longest branches. It's okay to sever some of the smaller roots, but for less stress on the plant, try to keep the larger roots intact. Replant at the same soil level as it was growing before and water it regularly all summer long. Best wishes with the move!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"