hibiscus frost tolerance - Knowledgebase Question

statesville, No
Question by lorichimato
I live in the middle south, statesville, NC. I used to live in Florida and miss my hibiscus plants. I have seen hibiscus shrubs at commercial locations, malls, etc.. Is there a hardy version of the hibiscus that will tolerate my winters? We can get snow, but not often or much, last winter we hit 8 degrees a few times. am looking for long, lasting color in a shrub. Thank you.

0

Tropical hibiscus, the kind you grew in Florida, is not very frost tolerant. A few hours of freezing temperatures won't kill the plants but will damage the leaves. The hardy hibiscus, also called rose of sharon, has similar flowers as the tropical hibiscus but the leaves are a dull rather than a glossy green. Rose of Sharon is frost hardy and can be grown in NC. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Inimitable Ice Plant"