Pesticide - Knowledgebase Question

Madison, Al
Question by nikki36688
I have two plum trees and a small garden with some tomato plants. I'm a beginner gardner. What is the best thing to do to keep them from getting eaten by insects?

Although we don't always appreciate the insects in our gardens, they can help transfer pollen which results in fruit on your plum trees and tomatoes on your tomato plants. For those reasons you wouldn't really want to eliminate insects from your garden. There are some that are more destructive than they are beneficial and those are the ones you want to target. If you inspect your plants on a regular basis you can usually control the destructive insects by hand picking them or hosing them off with a strong stream of water. Some insect damage to leaves is more aesthetic than anything else. I would expect some damage, knowing that the insects are preying on other insects and transferring pollen. If there is a particular population of insects you need help in controlling (such as Japanese beetles), collect a few of the pests in a sealable plastic bag and have them identified at your local cooperative extension office or well staffed nursery center. Once you know what you are dealing with, you can choose the least toxic, most effective means of control. Best wishes with your garden!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"