Deciding between trees - Knowledgebase Question

Orlando, Fl
Question by rmenkova
We are looking for a tall shade tree that will not be very wide so it doesn't take up too much space in the backyard. We live in Central Florida and would prefer to find a tree that isn't too messy. The trees that I am considering are Goldenrain tree, Little Gem Maganolia, Bowhall Red Maple. If you know of any other trees, please suggest them. The tree will only be 10 ft away from house, roots are

Golden Raintree will be too large for the space. It grows 35-40' tall and 25-25' wide. Little Gem Magnolia is a better choice for the space. It grows at a slow rate to a height of perhaps 30 to 35 feet with an 8 to 12-foot spread and flowers at two or three years of age. Bowhall Red Maple reaches a height of about 50 feet with a 25 foot spread so it, too will be too large. I'd go with the Little Gem Magnolia, or consider Spanish Stopper (Eugenia spp.). Its narrow canopy and the ability to grow in limited soil space makes this tree ideal for small landscapes. It is drought-tolerant once established, has a slow to moderate growth rate and reaches 15-20' x 15' wide. It is evergreen and can be pruned to control its width.

Best wishes with your new tree.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"