Rodent Residing In Strawberry Pyramid - Knowledgebase Question

Howell, MI
Question by twsmith
This year I planted a strawberry pyramid garden with 50 plants. The plants are in excellent condition, but I have just discovered 3 holes, each approximately 1 1/2 inches in diameter, going into the pyramid from the lowest tier. There doesn't appear to be any damage...yet. What is this creature, and what, if anything, should I do?

0

It's most likely a chipmunk or mouse that finds the pyramid a comfy high-rise condo! Plug up the holes and see if new ones appear. This will tell you that the critter has either exited or has created a new entrance, and still wants to live there. Rodents can cause damage to strawberry crowns with their nibbling, so if the critter is still active, you have some options: let it be, live trap it, snap-trap it, or try to repel it by placing garlic cloves in any holes that you find. Best of luck!

Today's site banner is by bootandall and is called "Aster"