using dog kennel for future garden - Knowledgebase Question

Mosinee, Wi
Question by me1talley
Is it possible to use an old outside 10x10' dog kennel for a garden. If this is possible, how long should i wait for the soil to cleans from the dog droppings before I can use for a garden? Do you have any other advice I should concider?

0

I can only imagine that the soil in the kennel is contaminated with urine and feces and the soil is probably sterile, or close to it from the salt build up from the urine. While you can renovate the area and plant a flower garden, I wouldn't use it for a vegetable garden. If you intend to use the area as a vegetable garden, the safest approach would be to build raised beds and import fresh topsoil rather than to try to plant in the ground. You can have the soil tested through a private lab or through your local cooperative extension office as a first step to preparing the area for a flower garden. The test results will indicate whether or not you can improve the soil with compost or other organic matter or whether you should remove the contaminated soil and replace it with fresh soil. I think I would just plan on building raised beds in the area and gardening in them!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"