Trim an Ash Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Long Beach, Ca
Question by anama6
We are lucky enough to have a grand old tree. Our Ash tree is about 100 years old. We bought our house because of this beautiful tree. When is the proper time of year to trim and how often is it necessary as it is quite costly? Also is is surrounded by a bed of green ivy which is now growing up the tree. Will this hurt the tree?

Sounds like a beautiful specimen so I know you want to take really good care of your ash tree. The ivy is of some concern in that it can hold too much moisture against the bark of the trunk and branches and cause rot. It can also weigh down the branches and act like a sail in the wind. So I'd make it my first priority to prune the ivy, making sure it does not grow up the trunk and into the branches. If it is already there, cut it at soil level and pull it off and out of the tree. Ash trees do not require regular pruning, but when required, prune in the fall. You can prune dead twigs and branches anytime. Enjoy your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"