Apples size of golf ball - Knowledgebase Question

Freeport, Ne
Question by premper
My apple tree 8yrs old producing apples the size of golf ball.Initially they were normal size. What can I do to correct this?

0

Apple trees can set more fruit than it is capable of growing to maturity. Usually there is a natural thinning or fruit drop in the early summer but if your tree fails to self-thin, you should thin the fruit yourself by removing all but one or two fruit in each cluster. This will redirect the tree's energy into developing fewer, but larger fruits. Insects and disease problems can cause misshapen fruit; water or other environmental stress, and even poor pollination can also cause fruting problems so keep an eye out for potential problems. I'd try thinning next June and your tree should develop better fruit set.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"