Transplanting a rose - Knowledgebase Question

Malvern, Ar
Question by tap1952
My mother-in-law has a rose bush that was planted by her mother. I would llike to transplant it to my yard, but it seems to have some disease. Is there a risk of my plants having problems if I move this bush to my flower bed? If not, what is the best plan to get this rose bush on the right track? Thanks for your help.

0

It would be least stressful for the rose bush if you moved it in the winter months when it is dormant. At that time you can prune it back to make it easier to handle and also to remove most of the diseased leaves and canes. Roses can develop a fungal disease called black spot which typically remains on the shrub and doesn't move through the garden. Just to make sure, give your rosebush plenty of elbow room. Overcrowded plants can share disease pathogens when water splashes from the leaves of one to another. This spring you can use a neem oil based product such as Rose Defense. It should control black spot and other common rose diseases. Best wishes with your rose bush!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Blanket Flower Amber Wheels"