Sod - Knowledgebase Question

Santa Rosa, Ca
Question by missedwina4
Hi, On 9/12 I put sod into my backyard (19'in diameter circle). I live in sonoma County in Northern California and I was wondering how much water I should be giving it? alot of it is already starting to grow, but there a few strips that have dried out. Should I replace them now, while everything is still rooting? They were small strips i had to cut to make the circle.

Thank you!

Try watering well first. The dried out sod may perk up. If not, you can replace it. Here are some general guidelines for helping your new sod become established: Your lawn should be watered immediately to moisten the soil and the sod. Water thoroughly, providing about an inch of water over the entire lawn. The sod will require consistent moisture for the next 7-10 days to ensure good, even root development. Water the lawn lightly to keep the sod moist at least twice daily; 15-20 minutes is sufficient. Once the sod has begun to "knit" to the soil surface, gradually increase the duration and decrease the frequency of your waterings until you are watering once a week for 45 minutes to an hour (long enough to provide one inch of water). This schedule can be adjusted for the weather, of course, with more frequent applications during the early stages if we experience hot, dry, or windy weather. Less water is needed during periods of rainy or cold weather. Watering is best done during the overnight hours. The hours between 10:30pm and 2:00am are best. This limits the amount of time the grass blades are wet, thus reducing the threat of disease establishment. Do not water from 6:00am through the remainder of the day. Watering during the heat of the day will not damage the grass, but too much of the water is wasted through evaporation loss before the grass ever has a chance to use it. Sod is a very perishable commodity. It can dry out very quickly in sunny, windy weather. Until the roots have grown down into the soil, it is critical that the sod not dry out. As long as this doesn't happen, your results should be excellent. Best wishes with your new lawn.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"