Caladium bulbs - Knowledgebase Question

Merkel, Te
Question by kathleensmi
I've been told that in Abilene, TX you can trim back caladiums in the Fall and leave them in the ground all Winter. Is this true? If so, how do I go about it?

I think it will be risky to leave them in the ground over the winter months. They may be able to take the cold but unless the soil has excellent drainage, the tubers can turn to mush. If you want to experiment with one or two, go for it! But to save the tubers for planting next spring, dig them in the fall and store them for spring replanting. When foliage begins to yellow and daytime temperatures drop and remain below 60 degrees F, the time is right to dig caladium tubers. Air dry tubers for several days on a flat sunny surface. Allow leaves to fall off by themselves. This way they keep supplying tubers with needed nutrients.

Store tubers in dry peat moss or dry sand. Choose a well ventilated spot where temperatures ideally remain between 70 and 75 degrees F. Do not refrigerate. Within 8 weeks new growth may sprout, indicating tubers are healthy and prepared for spring garden action.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"