poinciana tree - Knowledgebase Question

North Port, Fl
Question by gj_sutherlan
I thought my young poinciana was lost to the freeze we had in Feb, but I left it alone just to see what would happen. Well, in six months time it is taller and much fuller than it was with four trunks. It looks like a large shrub. My question is: Do I have to teach it to

Congratulations on the resurrection of your poinciana. Just the tops are frost sensitive, but the roots are a little more hardy, as you have discovered. You will need to train your poinciana into a tree shape by cutting away three of the four trunks. Choose the largest, most vigorous stem to train into a trunk and prune away the remaining stems. The crown of the plant may continue to send up suckers and you'll need to prune them off as they emerge. Eventually the trunk will grow tall and branch out and you'll have your tree back. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"