camelia spots - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Lynne Schwartz
savannah, Ge
Question by lynne138
I have white dry spots 1/4'' on my camellia. Some of the spots have tiny pin size brown dots. It looks like they were spattered with paint. I do not see any insects. Almost all the leaves have these dry white spots. The remainder of the leaf is dark green and glossy. Is this a fungus? What should I do to prevent this in
the future? Should I have sprayed with a dormant oil in Feb What should do?

I can't really diagnose the problem without seeing it. The spots might be caused by water droplets on the leaves in the bright summer sun. The water can magnify the water and cause sunburn. Check to see if the affected leaves are those that might be exposed to sunshine as opposed to leaves that are towards the inner part of the shrub where they experience shade. Or, the spots may indicate a fungal disease. If so, you can use a garden fungicide to protect unaffected leaves. Or you can simply prune off the affected plant parts to encourage healthy new growth. Best wishes with your camellia!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"