Braken Ferns - Knowledgebase Question

CRYSTAL LAKE, Il
Question by happybebe
How can I get rid of braken ferns and what can I plant in the spot to reduce the chance of them coming back?

0

Bracken fern is known to produce and release allelopathic chemicals, which is an important factor in its ability to dominate other vegetation. To complicate matters, they can reproduce two ways. One is by rhizomes spreading, and the other is by spores. Your best defense against these plants is to pull them up whenever you recognize they are sprouting. Without the green frond, the roots will eventually die out. Or you can dig the rhizomes out of the ground, which may include an extensive excavation. I've had good results by simply pulling them up and out of the ground and/or kicking over the emerging frond before it opens. Just keep at it and you'll eventually win the battle. Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"