organic weed killing? - Knowledgebase Question

Rising Sun, In
Question by countrylily0
What's the best way to get rid of weeds in our yard and in our garden, when we are trying to go organic? We bought a weed burner,didn't slow down the weeds in the garden for very long with the amount of rain we had this spring. I used ground cover and this was the most helpful. We are on a rocky hillside with clay soil,every inch that wasn't covered grew weeds.
I hate to go back to harsh chemical

Flaming the weeds is usually effective if you simply pass the flame over or near the weed. The goal is to use the heat to expand the fluids within the cells. As the fluids expand they burst the cells. The roots then work to repair the damage rather than using its stored energy to sprout new stems and leaves. If you incinerate the weeds, the roots will simply send up new stems. So try a gentler touch with your flamer and I think you'll see a big difference. Hoeing, hand pulling, hand digging and pouring boiling water over the weeds are other ways to kill them off. For persistent perennial weeds, boiling vinegar usually burns them out. Or you can try smothering the weeds by covering them with several thicknesses of newspaper or sheets of cardboard. Anchor them down so they don't blow away. You might consider laying weed barrier landscape cloth over the entire area and cutting slits or X's where you want to plant. Hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"