Dwarf Korean Lilac - Knowledgebase Question

Minooka, Il
Question by droop22144
How to start a new plant from existing shrub? I have small branch starts in my landscaping, I'd like to start new lilac to plant elsewhere.

It is easy to dig up existing lilac suckers and transplant them around your home. Harvest lilac suckers in early to late spring while the lilac bushes are still dormant. Use a shovel to dig up the lilac suckers by placing the shovel blade between the parent shrub and the sucker and digging straight down to sever the root that is attaching them to one another. Choose lilac suckers that are 8-15 inches tall. Shorter lilac suckers may take longer to bloom, and larger lilac suckers take a longer amount of time to recover from the transplant. Replant in a sunny spot with good drainage and keep the suckers watered on a regular basis. They will grow and mature and will eventually flower for you. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"