lawn care - Knowledgebase Question

morganton, Ge
Question by mjcowart
what do i need to do right now for my lawn to get it ready for the winter and spring? please tell me everything i need to buy. also, can you tell me what i need for my peach trees ? do they need to be sprayed with something? thank you!

About the only thing you'll want to do for your lawn is apply a winterizer fertilizer. It usually goes on sale at about the right time to apply in your local area so watch the ads. A winterizer is low in nitrogen but high in phosphorous and potassium (the 3 numbers on the label). I use Scotts Winterizer Fall Lawn Fertilizer. After application water your lawn well.

Right now, your peach trees won't need spraying. In late winter you can use preventative sprays. Your spray program would depend on which particular varieties you are growing and their susceptibility or resistance to the different diseases in your local area. What to use and when to use it depends on what you are trying to control. I would suggest you work with your local Cornell county extension to set up a regular spray program. They can also help you determine the right timing in your local area because it depends to some extent on the weather each year.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"