Chinch Bugs in St. Augustine Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Winter Garden, Fl
Question by royaliyou
I live in Central Florida. I have chinch bugs and have used both the bayer granules and the liquid as treatment. The brown spots in my lawn still seem to be spreading and the affected area completely brown. Should I rake up the brown patches in those dead areas?

Chinch bugs are a royal pain, and they are difficult to control so you may need to try a different product. Here's a list of effective products but be sure to read the labels for application timing. For instance, a summerguard product should not be used in the fall....

Scott's Lawn Pro Insect Control with Fertilizer; Scott's Turf Builder with SummerGuard; Gordon's Liquid Dura-Spray Carbaryl Insecticide; Bayer Advanced PowerForce Multi-Insect Killer; Bayer Advanced PowerForce Carpenter Ant & Termite Killer Plus; Southern Ag Mole Cricket & Chinch Bug Lawn Insect Control; Spectracide - Triazicide Once & Done! Insect Killer; and Permethrin Spectracide Bug Stop Insect Control Granules.

You can rake to remove the dead grass and your St. Augustine will eventually fill in the bare spots. Or, you can take plugs or sprigs from a healthy part of your lawn and plant them in the bare areas for faster fill in. Good luck with your lawn!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"