Flower Beds & Grass - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by sgdavis09
Two questions:

1. In my flower beds there's dollar weeds & weeds growing
2. everytime i cut my grass i have to use a lot of garbage bags for the grass ( i have a bag on my lawn mover). if i don't dump the bag reguarly it makes the lawn look like hay.i cut my grass once a week.
my flower bed has the weed screen down (?) and rocks on top of the screen
(Hope i worded this right)

If you have weed barrier down on your flower beds, dollar weeds and grasses should not be popping up. I'd rake away any covering (rocks, gravel, bark, etc.) you have over the weed barrier and check to make sure there are no holes in the barrier. It is possible that the weeds are growing on the top of the weed barrier and the rocks or bark are supporting them. If so, they should be easy to pull, roots and all. You can apply a pre emergent herbicide to your flower beds (Preen is one example). Pre emergence products will not control existing weeds but will keep new weeds from sprouting.

Sounds as though you need to mow your lawn more frequently than once a week! Mow often enough that you are removing 1 inch or less of the leaf blade each time you mow. If you do, you can skip the bagging and just let the clippings drop from the mower. You may need to mow every 3-4 days during the spring and fall months.

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"