Aerating Lawn - Knowledgebase Question

maywood, Il
Question by dgoodloe7421
I would like to aerate my front lawn and also plant new seeds this fall. When is the right time to do that? What would be the best seed to plant?

You can aerate in the spring or in the fall. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. You can then overseed your entire lawn. The University of Illinois Extension service recommends Kentucky Bluegrass or Perennial Ryegrass for your region. Best wishes with your lawn renovation.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"