killing frost in MA - Knowledgebase Question

Stoneham, Ma
Question by mozzer50
Hi, I want to lay some wildflower seeds in my yard but I'm told I must wait until the killing frost passes. When can I expect this roughly (I live @ 10 miles NW of Boston) and how can I tell it's passed? What is the best window of time to lay flower seeds in fall in MA? THANKS!!

Your average first frost of the season is October 5 but I'm not sure why you were told to wait until after the first killing frost. Perhaps the caution was to wait until after the last frost of the season, which is generally May 5th. If you wait to sow your wildflower seeds then, you'll miss an entire year of flowers. I'd sow the seeds now. If you cover them with a light layer of compost or sand they won't wash away in the rain and they should be ready to sprout as soon as the soil warms up in the spring. Best wishes with your wildflower garden!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"