Mandeville - Knowledgebase Question

Newark, Oh
Question by celtic56dlk
I received a lovely mandeville as a gift..placed it in a patio container...I live in Ohio..I know I need to take it indoors but do I need to cut it back or let it continue to vine?

0

You do not need to cut your plant back but they are such vigorous growers that eventually you will want to! If you want to keep your mandevilla as a houseplant, it needs to be brought indoors before the nights get too cold, say consistently below 55 degrees or so. Put them in a very bright location and keep watered and fertilized. They will usually stop blooming if the location is not bright enough or if they are exposed to too much cold before coming indoors. The switch from outdoors to indoors and vice versa should be done gradually to avoid shocking the plant. Start by taking it indoors overnight and back outdoors in the morning. Over a period of about a week, keep it indoors for longer and longer periods of time until it is spending 24 hours indoors. Be sure to check it carefully for pests before you bring it inside.

Alternatively, you can simply overwinter them indoors in a semi dormant state, leaving them outside until nights are in the mid-40's and then cut them back, bring them into a cool but bright room, water them just enough to keep the soil from drying out completely. In spring when they try to grow again, water more and feed them and keep them in the brightest light you can.

Yet another method is to leave them out later in the season as above, then place them in a cool location that is dark such as a basement or attached garage and hope they can survive; in this case they would be watered very little and eventually cut back hard and brought out into the light, and fed and watered normally again, in early spring.

Good luck with your mandevilla!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "