self pollenation - Knowledgebase Question

bolingbrook, Il
Question by gerardoagui
which is the male and female? blue holly, blue prince holly, merry berry,...
I am an HD associate working in inside garden (power equip.) I often get sucked outside to answer questions. any info the other self-pollenating fruit trees/shrubs would be very helpful

0

I know it can be confusing so I'll try to clarify things for you. Some hollies do not need a pollinator and some do. Examples of self-pollinating hollies include Japanese Hollies (Ilex Crenata), and some Chinese Holly & Hybrids (Ilex Cornuta) such as Burford and Dwarf Burford, and Nellie Stevens. Merry Berry does not need a pollinator.

Any of the Meserve Hybrid Hollies (Ilex x meserveae) will need a second holly for berry production. Female hollies usually have a male counterpart, chosen because they have similar appearance and bloom at exactly the same time. Blue Girl will produce the most berries with Blue Boy in the landscape. But, you can choose any of the Meserve Holly (blue holly) males, which bloom at nearly the same time. Blue Prince, China Boy or Blue Stallion will work with a Blue Girl. Blue Maid does best with Blue Boy or Blue Prince. Blue Princess does best with Blue Prince or Blue Stallion. China Girl and Dragon Lady need China Boy as a pollinator. So if the names sound like they should be a masculine and feminine pair, they probably are.

As for fruit trees, if they are marked self-fruitful you will not need a second tree, but most fruit trees will bear heavier crops in the presence of a second fruit tree. Choose a different cultivar for a companion tree. For instance, Gala and Jonagold apples will pollinate one another.

I hope this clarifies things for you!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"