my fruit trees leaves - Knowledgebase Question

Queen creek, Ar
Question by darlynebarn
My fruit trees leaves are brown on the edges Why? and they also dont got to many on them ? I cant seem to figure it out I fed them when I was suppose to labor day,and some new leaves are coming back but some are still brown/yellow can you help me?

I imagine you are talking about citrus trees. If so, they are evergreen and retain their leaves for 2-3 years. Over this amount of time they take a beating from the sun and will begin to turn yellow and brown just before they are shed. New leaves should be growing now and they will be a nice deep green. If the edges of the newer leaves get crispy brown around the margins it indicates a build up of salts near the roots of the tree. This can happen because you overfertilize or simply because our soil is so alkaline. To offset this, flood the soil periodically to leach the excess salts from near the roots. I have a watering basin beneath my trees and I fill the basin with water, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. Twice a week during the hottest summer months, once a week during fall, winter and spring. Try this with your trees. You can prune them back now to encourage lots of new stem and leaf growth. They will flower in December or January so do your pruning now. Good luck with your trees.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"