Care for Palm trees - Knowledgebase Question

spring, Te
Question by valanders
I have Mexican palms, Queen palms and fox tail palm how do I care for these. Two of the Mexican palms have green palms but have brown edges and new growth started but has not opened.What do I do? I was told Palm trees like baking soda is that true?

I don't think baking soda is anything you need to apply to your palm trees. If you're concerned about the soil, have it tested by your cooperative extension or private soil testing lab. In general, palms need adequate water and sunshine. Browning fronds can indicate a water stress, wind burn, fertilizer burn or salt build up in the soil. You can't do anything about the sun or the wind but you can control the amount of water you provide and you can flush out excessive salts that may be in the soil. When the palm tree has been planted, build a soil barrier around the circumference of the hole to form a basin that will hold water. Then lay down a layer of organic mulch around the tree. About three inches deep should do. Frequent watering is crucial for newly-planted palm trees. Daily for about the first two weeks and then tapering off over several months as the tree establishes itself. Use a bubbler or arrange a hose to slow soak the area around the tree. It is important not to allow the soil to dry out as this will severely weaken your new palms. Palms appreciate being fed with a specialized palm food ferilizer. Apply in amounts as recommended on the label, according to the sizes of your palm trees.

Best wishes with your palms.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"