How do I get rid of the grass roots in my vegetable/flower garden? - Knowledgebase Question

Brea, Ca
Question by aikojg
I planted vegetables, two fruit trees, some herbs, and some flowers in a garden that used to be a patch of grass. The grass grows so quickly and I can't keep up with all the

A reclaimed grassy area will probably have lots of grass roots ready to pop up when water and sunshine are available. The permanent fix is to dig the old grass out, roots and all. Since you are planting/growing vegetables, I'd stay away from chemicals and try to suffocate the weeds instead. Several thicknesses of newpaper, or even cardboard set on the soil around your existing plants should keep that grass from sprouting. You can cover over the newspapers or cardboard with compost or other organic matter to make it look more attractive. If this doesn't work for you, another approach is to remove all the flowers and vegetable plants, cover over the entire bed with weed barrier landscape fabric and cut slits or holes in the weed barrier to plant. The weed barrier will eliminate light and should keep the grass from sprouting. Best wishes with your new garden!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"