Gardenea - Knowledgebase Question

millersville, Ma
Question by auntiejoyjk
I need to transplant my gardenia and bring it in . Any helpful hints on doing this TU Joy

If you're going to be moving your gardenia indoors over the winter and back outdoors in the spring, it might be best to plant it in a container on a permanent basis. This way you can easily transport it depending upon season and it won't suffer setbacks each time you plant and replant. Since your gardenia has probably not been in the ground for too many months I suspect the root system is in roughly the same position as it was when you first planted it. So, just start digging all around the plant and about 12" deep. I think you'll be able to recognize the original rootball, complete with potting soil. Choose a container slightly larger than the original nursery pot your plant came in and use moistened potting soil on the bottom and around the sides of the rootmass after to plop your gardenia into its new container. Water it well to settle the soil and allow the excess water to drain out. Gradually move it indoors so it isn't too shocked with the lower light levels and warmer temperatures indoors. Start by taking it indoors in the evening and back outdoors in the morning. Keep it in for longer and longer periods of time until it is spending 24 hours indoors. Reverse this process when you take it back outside in the spring. The whole process should take only about a week.

Good luck with your gardenia!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"