Mexican Bird of Paradise Plants - Knowledgebase Question

San Antonio, Te
Question by clalli
I have a large 5 year old Mexican Bird of Paradise plant that blooms prolifically all summer. The foliage and blooms which are yellow and orange are different from the plants I see blooming all over SA. Can I propagate these plants from the seeds I have harvested and if so when is the best time to put seedlings in the soil?

0

Mexican Bird of Paradise is extremely easy to grow from seeds. You can plant some of the seeds in the ground now (just barely cover with soil) and you can save some to plant next spring. I usually soak the seeds overnight before planting and I plant mine in containers filled with potting soil. It isn't necessary to do this - they will grow directly in the ground - but I like to give them special attention and then transplant them into the ground when they are about 6" high. Whichever way you decide to sow your seeds, I'm sure you will be successful. Enjoy your new plants!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"