hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Clovis, Ca
Question by loriaesp
I have a hibiscus in my garden. What do i do to keep from losing it in the winter? I'm sure i need to prune it, but when and how much?

0

A tropical hibiscus can die down in frosty weather but unless it is a hard and extended freeze, all you will lose are the leaves and young stems. In the spring you can prune away any winter kill. Your winter weather is generally above freezing so I don't think any winter protection is really needed. If you want to spread a sheet or towel over the plant overnight if frost threatens, you can do so. Just remember to remove the cover before the sun comes up the next morning.

You can prune your hibiscus whenever it needs to be pruned. Spring, early summer and late summer are the usual times for cutting it back. Take it back about 6" and you'll encourage a bushy growth habit and lots of spring and summer flowers. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "