soil - Knowledgebase Question

springhill, Fl
Question by mcoledad
my soil is mustly gray sand my azaila are brown the plants I bought one year ago are still in the pots(I bought 10 planted 5 keep 5 in the same pots)will rotilling grass from the yard help the ground(soil)

I think amending the planting beds is the answer to your sandy soil problem. Azaleas grow best in acidic soils so incorporating lots of compost or peat moss into the entire planting bed will help them immensely. I would dig out the 5 you planted then spread 4-5 inches of compost or peat moss over the entire area and dig or rototill it in. Then level the soil and plant your azaleas. After planting mulch over the top of the soil with 2-3 additional inches of compost or peat moss. As it decomposes it will release acidifying agents which should help keep your azaleas healthy and happy.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"