planting Rhubarb - Knowledgebase Question

Lake Stevens, Wa
Question by ritaschnepp
I was given 2 rhubarb starts. they are in a 1 gallon containers. i was going to keep them for planting next spring. i was told to plant them now. what is you recommendation? thanks

0

Spring is the traditional time to plant rhubarb roots or crowns but you can plant your rhubarb starts now. If you leave them in the containers over the winter months, the roots will need some protection - just in case the weather gets unseasonably cold. I'd sink the containers into the ground or at least set them near the foundation of your house and pile some compost or other organic matter around the containers to help insulate the roots. Whatever you decide, enjoy your rhubarb!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"